Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Terror study honoured

Mohammed Al a'Ali, Gulf Daily News (Bahrain)

A Bahraini woman is gaining global recognition for her research on the recruitment of Al Qaeda militants in Saudi Arabia. Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) Manama branch co-ordinator Hadyah Fathalla has already given lectures to Australian federal police on the topic and has more invitations lined up. She travelled to Riyadh to interview Al Qaeda sympathisers on whom she based her research. The research is due to be published soon and Ms Fathalla said she could not discuss the contents of her report until then. She told the GDN that she selected Saudi Arabia as a study case for her war studies programme. "When I went to do my research, I thought like others that it was just few people who sympathised with Al Qaeda," she said. "But I discovered it was more than just that, and there is more to the story ... The lectures I have given to the police in Australia are encouraging and show there are people out there who are interested in what I am offering." Ms Fathalla was formerly the assistant head of political affairs at the US Embassy in Bahrain.

No comments: