Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Oil matters more than my suffering, says torture victim

by Alan Weston from The Liverpool Echo

Torture victim Les Walker last night spoke of his anger over the “red carpet treatment” being given to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia on his state visit to Britain. Mr Walker claims he was tortured to make him confess to a series of terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia. He was sentenced to 12 years but was freed along with three other British captives after they were pardoned in August 2003 ... Mr Walker, 61, said: “I still get flashbacks and nightmares over the torture I endured in Saudi Arabia ... I have been physically and mentally unable to work since I came back and I now live off benefits.” Last year Mr Walker, along with the three other former captives, failed in their bid to sue Saudi officials. They are now bringing their case to the European Court of Human Rights, but they may have to wait at least another two years. Mr Walker added: “We shall continue to fight, as long as torture is going on.”

No comments: