Friday, September 28, 2007

Nigeria: I Have No Grouse With Kure

by Aideloje Ojo from Abuja (The Daily Trust)

Q: Do you have interest in implementing Sharia in the state?
Governor Mu'azu Babangida Aliyu of Niger State: We have no problem with Sharia. I told people that if anybody should be interested in Sharia , I should be the one because I am a grand son of a Sharia Judge and a son of a Sharia Judge. I went to an Arabic school ... But we must not be hypocritical. I think we should be able to look at issues as they are. There are processes. If you have not put a matter in your manifesto, I think you should be bold enough not to run it on the people. So, as far as I am concerned, there is the Sharia commission in Niger state. There is the Liquor Control Commission in Niger State and they are all working. I have not seen the problem of any body saying he has been prevented from doing his work. I have seen people write nonsense because they want to pounce on other people. But I have not seen any body who said as a Sharia person, he has gone to do his work but he was not allowed to. I have not heard of anybody caught drinking alcohol. So what is the problem? Why should I go around shouting about Sharia?

No comments: